Skip Navigation Links


FTC Consumer Alert! What to Do If Your Identity Is Stolen

"I don't remember charging those items. I've never even been in that store." Maybe you never charged those items, but someone else did...someone who used your name and personal information to commit fraud. When an impostor uses your name, your Social Security number, your credit card number, or some other piece of your personal information for their use - it's a crime, pure and simple. The biggest problem? You may not know your identity's been stolen until you notice that something's amiss: you may get bills for a credit card account you never opened, your credit report may include debts you never knew you had, a billing cycle may pass without your receiving a statement, or you may see charges on your bills that you didn't sign for, didn't authorize, and don't know anything about.

If someone has stolen your identity, the Federal Trade Commission recommends that you take three actions immediately. First, contact the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus. Tell them to flag your file with a fraud alert including a statement that creditors should call you for permission before they open any new accounts in your name.

Report fraud Order credit Web site report Equifax (800) 525-6285 (800) 685-1111 Experian (888) EXPERIAN (888) EXPERIAN (397-3742) (397-3742) Trans Union (800) 680-7289 (800) 916-8800 It's a good idea to order a copy of your credit report from the three credit bureaus every year to check on their accuracy and whether they include only those debts and loans you've incurred. This could be very important if you're considering a major purchase, such as a house or a car. A credit bureau may charge you up to $8 for a copy of your report. Second, contact the creditors for any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently. Ask to speak with someone in the security or fraud department, and follow up in writing. Following up with a letter is one of the procedures spelled out in the Fair Credit Billing Act for resolving errors on credit billing statements, including charges or electronic fund transfers that you have not made. Third, file a police report. Keep a copy in case your creditors need proof of the crime.

Although identity thieves can wreak havoc on your personal finances, there are some things you can do to take control of the situation. Here's how to handle some of the most common forms of identity theft. If an identity thief has stolen your mail for access to new credit cards, bank and credit card statements, pre-approved credit offers and tax information or falsified change-of-address forms, (s)he has committed a crime. Report it to your local postal inspector. If you discover that an identity thief has changed the billing address on an existing credit card account, close the account. When you open a new account, ask that a password be used before any inquiries or changes can be made on the account. Avoid using easily available information like your mother's maiden name, your birth date, the last four digits of your Social Security number or your phone number, or a series of consecutive numbers. Avoid the same information and numbers when you create a Personal Identification Number (PIN). To thwart an identity thief who may pick through your trash to capture your personal information, tear or shred your charge receipts, copies of credit applications, insurance forms, bank checks and statements, expired charge cards, and credit offers you get in the mail.

Terminate any telephone call that is trying to "VERIFY" your Banking Information. your Bank already has all the required information. Avoid Pre-approved credit card offers. If you have reason to believe that an identity thief has accessed your bank accounts, checking account or ATM card, close the accounts immediately. When you open new accounts, insist on password-only access. If your checks have been stolen or misused, stop payment. If your ATM card has been lost, stolen or otherwise compromised, cancel the card and get another with a new PIN. If an identity thief established new phone service in your name and is making long-distance calls, making unauthorized calls that appear to come from - and are billed to - your cellular phone, or using your calling card and PIN, contact your service provider immediately to cancel your account and calling card. Get new accounts and new PINs. If it appears that someone is using your Social Security number when applying for a job, get in touch with the Social Security Administration to verify the accuracy of your reported earnings and that your name is reported correctly. Call (800) 772-1213 to check your Personal Earnings and Benefit Estimate. If you suspect that your name or Social Security number is being used by an identity thief to get a driver's license, contact your Department of Motor Vehicles. If your state uses your Social Security number as your driver's license number, ask to substitute another number.

If You're Still Having Identity Problems... Stay alert to new instances of identity theft. Notify the company or creditor that's involved immediately. Follow up in writing. You also may want to contact: The Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, which provides information on how to network with other identity theft victims. Call (619) 298-3396 or visit The US Secret Service, which has jurisdiction over financial fraud cases. Although the Service generally investigates cases where the dollar loss is substantial, your information may provide evidence of a larger pattern of fraud requiring their involvement. Contact your local field office. The Social Security Administration, which may issue you a new Social Security number if you still have difficulties even after trying to resolve the problems resulting from identity theft. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that a new Social Security number will resolve your problems.

Complaint Clearinghouse The Federal Trade Commission is the federal clearinghouse for consumer complaints about identity theft. The information you provide can help the Commission and other law enforcement agencies track, investigate and prosecute identity thieves. You can file a complaint with the FTC by contacting the Consumer Response Center by phone: 202-FTC-HELP (382-4357); TDD: 202-326-2502; by mail: Consumer Response Center, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20580; or through the Internet, using the online complaint form. Although the Commission cannot resolve individual problems for consumers, it can act against a company if it sees a pattern of possible law violations. The FTC publishes free brochures on many consumer issues. For a complete list of publications, write for Best Sellers, Consumer Response Center, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Washington, D.C. 20580; or call (202) FTC-HELP (382-4357), TDD (202) 326-2502. For further information go to web site

How to Correct My Consumer Profile

Complete the Research Request Form that is sent with your Landlord2Landlord® Credit Profile, and give details of the information you believe is incorrect, or call 770-516-3616- the number listed in the top right hand corner of your Landlord2Landlord® Credit Profile to speak with an L2L® Information Consultant. We will then check with the credit grantor to see if any erroneous information has been reported. Information that cannot be verified within thirty (30) days will be removed from your file. If you and a credit grantor disagree on any information, you will need to resolve the dispute directly with the credit grantor who is the source of the information in question. If the item on your credit profile is correct, but you disagree with it being reported, you may send Landlord2Landlord® a brief counterstatement to include in the report (It is not to exceed 100 words; 200 for the residents of Maine) which will be disclosed each time your Credit Profile is accessed.

If the reinvestigation results in changing or deleting the information under dispute, you may request an updated Landlord2Landlord® Credit Profile to be sent to any creditor that received your credit profile with the wrong information during the past 6 months (12 months for Colorado, New York and Maryland residents).


  PRESS RELEASES:  Real estate attorneys are leaving the residential real estate business PRIVACY STATEMENT | CONTACT US 
About L2L
L2L Press Releases
L2L Affiliations
Success Stories
Tenant Screening
Pre-Employment Screening
Collection Services
Tenant Report Cards
Bureau Debt Reporting
In-House Processing
Credit Reports
Criminal Reports
Criminal Records Statistics
Courthouse Records
Courthouse Records Statistics
Credit Decisioning Services
Decisioning Benefits
Decisioning Features
L2L Membership
Why L2L
Small Apartment Owners
Large Apartment Owners
National/Regional Companies
Operating From Residence
Property Mgmt. Companies
Security Requirements
Business Requirements
Join Us
News & Resources
FCRA Compliance
For Employers
Fair Credit Reporting Act
Fair Credit Collections Act
FCRA Obligations
Consumer Credit Rights
Consumer Credit FAQs
Fixing Your Credit
Sharing Your Information
Consumer Fair Credit Probe
Credit Abuse Liability
Fair Credit Information Act
Tenant Screening
Rental Application Screening
Rental Eviction History
Credit Reporting
Reduce Property Damage
Recover Uncollected Rent
Bad Debts to Credit Bureaus
End Renter Fraud
Renter Qualifications Report
Criminal Background Checks
Credit Information
Rental Property Risk Management
Landlord Services
Employment Verification